Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Background 2

My orthodontist is Dr. Chay Siew Han, her clinic is situated in Jalan Burma, Penang. My first appointment with her is just for consultation and she also recommended a oral maxillofacial surgeon to me. We set up another appointment together with the surgeon on another date. Second visit to her clinic was to take my impression, opg (i.e. full mouth x-ray) and lateral cephalic view x-ray.
Third visit is about my treatment plan, with the surgeon together.
So my orthodontic treatment plan is to de-compensate my occlusion ie to make my lower teeth come out, overlapping the upper teeth, so that after the surgery i will obtain a normal occlusion.
My surgery plan is originally involving 2 jaws, but after some consideration, the surgeon decide to do only the lower jaw surgery. Well the surgery is called as a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (BSSO). Well this surgery is approximately about 2 to 3 hours, after surgery you need to be hospitalized for one to two days, depends on your condition, some require a week or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment